|For other uses, see Black Lightning (disambiguation)|
About the Show
Jefferson Pierce (Cress Williams) is a man wrestling with a secret. As the father of two daughters and principal of a charter high school that also serves as a safe haven for young people in a neighborhood overrun by gang violence, he is a hero to his community. Nine years ago, Pierce was a hero of a different sort. Gifted with the superhuman power to harness and control electricity, he used those powers to keep his hometown streets safe as the masked vigilante Black Lightning. However, after too many nights with his life on the line, and seeing the effects of the damage and loss that his alter ego was inflicting on his family, he left his Super Hero days behind and settled into being a principal and a dad. Choosing to help his city without using his superpowers, he watched his daughters Anissa (Nafessa Williams) and Jennifer (China Anne McClain) grow into strong young women, even though his marriage to their mother, Lynn (Christine Adams), suffered. Almost a decade later, Pierce’s crime-fighting days are long behind him... or so he thought. But with crime and corruption spreading like wildfire, and those he cares about in the crosshairs of the menacing local gang The One Hundred, Black Lightning returns — to save not only his family, but also the soul of his community. Based on the characters from DC, BLACK LIGHTNING is from Berlanti Productions and Akil Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television, with executive producers Greg Berlanti (Arrow, The Flash), Salim Akil & Mara Brock Akil (Being Mary Jane, The Game, Girlfriends), and Sarah Schechter (Arrow, The Flash). The Black Lightning character was created by Tony Isabella with Trevor Von Eeden.
- The show was first developed at FOX and was given a put pilot commitment in September 2016. 
- The series would not crossover with the Arrowverse.
- Five months after receiving a pilot commitment, FOX announced that it has passed on the series.
- The next day, the project was move to CW with a pilot order.
- On February 24, 2017, Cress Williams was cast as the title character.
- On March 2, 2017 China Anne McClain and Nafessa Williams were cast as Jefferson's daughters: Jennifer and Anissa Pierce, respectively.
- The CW discarded the original script for the pilot as it was written for FOX. They decided to do a 15 minute pilot presentation.
- Filming for the presentation began in March 2017.
- On March 10, 2017, Christine Adams was cast as Lynn Pierce.
- At San Diego Comic Con, James Remar and Damon Gupton were announced to have join the cast as series regular. They were respectively cast Peter Gambi and Inspector Henderson.
- On August 10, 2017, Krondon was cast as the villain Tobias Whale.
- On May 10, 2017, CW ordered Black Lightning to series.
- ↑ Fox Nabs 'Black Lightning' DC Superhero Drama With Pilot Production Commitment
- ↑ FOX'S BLACK LIGHTNING SHOW WON'T CROSS OVER WITH THE ARROWVERSE
- ↑ 'Black Lightning' Drama Eyes Move To the CW To Join Greg Berlanti Comic Lineup
- ↑ 'Black Lightning' DC Drama From Greg Berlanti & 'The Game' Duo Gets The CW Pilot Order
- ↑ Black Lightning: Cress Williams to Star in The CW's Latest DC Comics Pilot
- ↑ 'Black Lightning' CW Pilot: Nafessa Williams, China Anne McClain Cast
- ↑ PILOTS 2017: Very, Very Early Buzz Edition
- ↑ Pilot Locations 2017: NY, Vancouver & Atlanta Tick Up; LA, Toronto, Chicago Slip
- ↑ 'Black Lightning': Christine Adams Cast As Jefferson's Ex-Wife
- ↑ "'Black Lightning' Casts James Remar & Damon Gupton As Series Regulars
- ↑ 'Black Lightning' Adds Marvin "Krondon" Jones III As Villain Tobias Whale
- ↑ 'Black Lightning' & Lucy Hale's 'Life Sentence' Picked Up To Series By The CW